Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'll Try...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on November 29, 2003 14:06:42 UTC

well velocity is the rate of change of distance with respect to the rate of change of time or ds/dt by definition (more or less)...
so dt can never be zero or we are talking nonsense since we can't divide by zero.
so as far as the validity of your statement
"It doesn't matter how big or small they are, there will always be a time t when v = 0 and a time t' when v > 0." goes the significant measurable thing we are looking at is ds the rate of change of distance. here dt the rate of change of time is just what ever convention we measure time by (hmm relativity excluded i suppose).
but the thing about ds is that if you keep looking at smaller and smaller ds eventually we would get down to the planc scale and uncertainty would kick in. it would be much like the problem Paul Martin discussed with his math professor on the problem of pooring paint into the infinite horn (it's on his website).
well anyway at this point thats my take on it, no charge, no refunds.
regards, tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins