Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Plight? What Anti-realist?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on November 28, 2003 20:25:07 UTC

The just isn't possible to divide the world into theoretical and observable

Theoretical: the contents of all non-fiction books ever written
Observable: anything that is not theoretical

There, I just proved you wrong and divided the world. Don't like my definitions? Well, that's your problem, not mine!

What you don't understand, Harv, is that you can't prove anyone wrong if you don't accept their basic premises. What most of your posts essentially say is that, according to your worldview, all other worldviews are wrong to the extent that they disagree with your own. You may call that wisdom; most people call it foolishness.

You think "realism" is a strong argument against "anti-realism", but you don't understand why "anti-realism" is just as strong an argument against "realism". The reason you can't understand that is because you think "realism" makes more sense than "anti-realism", but you fail to see that worldviews don't make sense, it's people who make sense of worldviews. To an "anti-realist", "anti-realism" makes as much sense, perhaps more so, than "realism" does to the "realist". It's useless to argue the merits of one by the criteria of the other.

So how do you measure the merits of a particular worldview? Ha ha! "How to measure the merits of a particular point of view" is part of what constitutes a worldview in the first place. Eventually anything we think we know rests on circular logic! You may not like that; I particularly love it. It means God has given us freedom to perceive the world any way we like, with the only constraint that we must arbitrarily choose some arbitrary constraints.

Beyond that, there's absolutely nothing worth arguing about.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins