Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
We Have A Difference As To What Constitutes Scientific Evidence"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on November 26, 2003 02:22:49 UTC

Ruquist writes:
"We seem to have a difference of opinion as to what constitutes scientific evidence. For me. scientific evidence requires repeatable observations or measurements."

The definition you cite for "scientific evidence" is a good definition for "confirmed data" whose implications may not yet have been used as "evidence" for a point of view. Sometimes good data may lie a-mouldering while under-funded research programs lie dormant.
After all I have written on this forum, it is odd (though consistent with your combatively rhetorical habits of scientific discourse) that you imply I hold a cavalier attitude toward scientific evidence. Not so. However, I do hold that a definition for scientific evidence includes preliminary observations which may be overturned upon further investigation. If this were not so, we would be declaring that all our "evidence" is sacred and will never be overturned. The idea that evidence may be later interpreted correctly is something I had written about a few days ago. Did you read it?
At http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/30450.shtml I had written:
"...the Scientific Evidence for the Spiritual Realm is right before your eyes
-- but depends on how you define it.

Scientific Evidence for many things in the physical universe was scarce but DID exist in
the observations and arguments of early scientists. Even though Democritus was unable to describe the atom accurately, he was right about the idea of exceedingly small units
making up larger chunks of matter.
Similarly, Scientific Evidence for the spiritual realm is present in the observations and arguments of early spiritual scientists. Frequently what they say is not destined to be
borne out by findings in a future time better understanding, but they are on to something...."

Sincerely,
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins