Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Math Theory Of Darwinian Evolution

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 25, 2003 12:56:16 UTC

This is the very first theory of evolution I have ever seen. Of course, I do not go around looking for theories of evolution. But it has always seemed to me that what is called the theory of evoution is actually just a list of its axioms, like selection and competition, without ever deriving their mathematical consequences. This is the first paper that purports to do just that

Richard
---------------------------------------------
Is Power Law Scaling a quantitative description of Darwin Theory of Evolution?
Authors: Hari Mohan Gupta, José Roberto Campanha (Dpto Fisica - UNESP - Rio Claro Sao Paulo)
Comments: 7 figures, 4 figures
Subj-class: Statistical Mechanics
In the present work, via computational simulation we study the statistical distribution of people versus number of steps acquired by them in a learning process, considering Darwin classical theory of evolution, i.e. competition, learning and survival for the fittest. We consider that learning ability is normally distributed. We found that the number of people versus step acquired by them in a learning process is given through a power law (N(n)=cn^-alpha). As competition, learning and survival for the fittest is also at the heart of all economical and social systems, we consider that in some cases, power law scaling is a quantitative description of Darwin theory of evolution. This gives an alternative thinking in holistic properties of complex systems.
PACS 05.40.+j, 02.50.-r, 89.20.-a, 87.10.+e
Full-text: PDF only
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0311542

------------------------------------------

And for those interested in the history of astronomy

Astronomy and the Fall of Babylon
Authors: V.G.Gurzadyan
Subj-class: History of Physics
Journal-ref: Sky & Telescope, v.100, No.1 (July), pp.40-45, 2000
This illustrated article represents a popular account of the study of the Babylonian astronomical records of Enuma Anu Enlil tablet series i.e. of the Venus Tablet of Ammisaduqa and of two lunar eclipses linked with the IIIrd dynasty of Ur, having resulted in the proposal of Ultra-Low chronology of the Near East in II millennium B.C. The emerged Ultra-Low chronology is by 96 years shorter than the conventional Middle chronology and by now is supported by various independent studies. Tables of relative chronologies of principal kingdoms of Mesopotamia are given, along with some dates associated with the fall of Babylon in II millennium B.C. The technical details are given in the book by H.Gasche, J.A.Armstrong, S.W.Cole and V.G.Gurzadyan, "Dating the Fall of Babylon" (Mesopotamian History and Environment, Series II, University of Ghent and Chicago Press, 1998) and in subsequent articles.
Full-text: PostScript, PDF, or Other formats
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0311114

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins