Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
God And Nature

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on November 20, 2003 17:14:39 UTC

God is spiritual and is the progressive and accumulative spiritual intelligence of the universe; an accumulation of all the righteous souls who have passed into the spiritual realm. God does not and never has meddled in the tangible universe. It is of no importance during our physical life whether God exists or not if one so chooses. Whether or not one believes in a spirit or God really makes no difference to God. Righteous living will determine the continuance and destiny of our spirit/soul.

I think you are partly right and partly wrong. I think where most people go wrong in their accessment about God is that many assume that God is either all involved or completely uninvolved. I think neither position is correct.

Ironically, in my belief system, to understand God correctly you need to go back to a key scripture in the Hebrew bible:

Exodus 3:13-14 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I am who I am . [2] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

[2] Or I will be what I will be

The [2] note shows that God in this text is identifying himself as 'I AM who I AM' or 'I WILL BE what I WILL BE'. The name is known in Hebrew as Yahweh (or Yahveh, Jehovah, etc).

I think that name was brilliant by the writer of Exodus (inspired if you will). What I think it means is that God is not only what he is, he is also something in the making. God is in process.

As a process God is initiating changes to the world that do require his involvement, but they are changes that only require his involvement to accomplish this special process or transformation in the world. They are not necessarily every change that occurs, but they are pick and choose situations in which God will influence situations to a degree that it is obvious that a hand is behind the events that has occurred.

I believe you are correct though on the notion that God is progressive. In terms of accumulating spiritual knowledge, I think God is not so much acquiring this knowledge himself, but that aspect of him that 'Will Be what he Will Be' is accumulating spiritual and physical knowledge in the form of nature itself. That is, I think the universe is developing into a physical reflection of God ('I AM') and once that process is finished, the universe as a whole will resemble God.

At least, this is my belief. I see the universe (as a whole) becoming God-like in its final state prior to its infinite spacetime expansion (bringing about the final measurement [judgement] and a new heavens and new 'earth').

The question is why is such a process needed in the first place. Why not just 'I AM' and leave it at that? The only answer that I can suggest is that ultimate reality is a dictionary. Every thing that exists needs a definition, including the Ultimate itself. The definition is a process of events which accumulate to the best physically possible matching definition. Given the special emphasis on transformations, I suspect that category theory and symmetry is very fundamental.

This is a feature of Christianity that I like. The emphasis in Christianity is in defining one's character with the God of process, and transforming daily into this new identity. This is at the very heart of what I think God is (excuse me, I mean, "I Will Be what I Will Be").

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins