Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ruquist States "Buddhism Came Before Christianity"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on November 17, 2003 02:05:25 UTC

Ruquist wrote
Now Buddhism came before Christianity, so the Buddhists did not identify that Lord in Christian terms. But we all know who the Lord of Great Compassion must be - right?

Precisely, is that true? Do you care whether what you say is true in a deeper sense or is
shallow jingoism enough?
It is true that Siddhartha Gautama lived 500 years before Jesus. What is "Buddhism?" What is
"Christianity?" I believe the sentiments of both have been present longer than the institutions.
I believe the sentiments are equally old.
However, I believe that perceptions of the nature of God are gradually changing. It may be that those institutions' God and The Lord of Great Compassion might both be poor models of the real one.
(I also believe that folks who tampered with and falsified the archives of this forum, and who similarly destroy other records of human experience to deceive their fellow mortals, will be considered least in the ultimate judgement.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins