Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Holes?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on November 14, 2003 12:43:13 UTC

Hi Aurino:

I recall the incident when I heard my name "Alan" as a newborn baby and figured out they met me. You seem to think that "words" are thoughts? Thoughts do not require words.

I am an eyewitness that babies do know things that adults label with words, e.g. "night". Obviously an adults view of "night" may be coloured by years of exposure to varying experiences; but the concept is so basic much survives from baby-time.

Neurologist Ramachandran confirms my view about concepts involving matching of many patterns.

You could learn English "by bumping into it" instead of by Portugese-English translation? But it could be difficult without being in a sufficiently safe environment?

Quote:

"Can we adopt a convention? Whenever we use a word without quotes, we're referring to the thing the word is supposed to refer to. When we quote a word, as in "word", we're talking about the word itself. Makes discussion a lot easier. So now look at this:

1. Reality is... well, I'm not quite sure.

2. "Reality" is whatever you want it to be, with the caveat that once you define what "reality" is, please stick to your definition, otherwise I'll have no clue what you're talking about. "

"Bunk! There are no patterns that refer to God, only patterns that refer to "God".

"God" is the creator of the universe, the omniscient, almighty being that controls our destiny, yada yada yada.

God is nowhere in our sensory experience of the world. There are no patterns to match.

If I had never heard of the word "God"; that does not mean I would have no such idea; I might use another word to try to fit my baby-awareness and life experience.

Exactly my point! But let me tell you a secret: that is exactly what happened! You had your baby-awareness and life experience, and you chose a word to fit your experience. You chose the word "God" thinking it fits your experience, but how can you be sure of that? How can you know "consonance" or "pachyderm" aren't better words to describe your baby-awareness and life experience?

Think about that for a while! How did you happen to choose the word "God"? It has nothing to do with God itself, as you're smart enough to understand."

Comment:

Take the word "night".
Would you say you are not quite sure what night is?
Would you say "night" is when the sun is hidden behind the Earth, and the sky is dark, etc.?

Do you say: I chose the word "night" thinking it fits my experience, but how can I be sure of that?
How do I know "consonance" or "pachderm" are not
better words to describe my baby experience and life-experience of "night"?

Does my choosing of the word "night" have nothing to do with night itself?

AU CONTRAIRE!

On the contrary: it is the continual colliding of the word "night" with the actual experience of night that shows they have everything to do with each other. Sure, I might have a word "round" as a child and apply it to wheels and eventually regard "wheel" as more precise; but it does not negate the "round" in wheel.

How sure am I about God? In so far as I have learned He is 3 in 1; is Love, is Existence, is Jesus Christ who is "The Way, the Truth, And The Life"; the parables and teachings I have heard;
I am very sure I have found the link....

My use of the word "night" has everything to do with night itself; if I didn't have all those matches how would I know when to use the word?

Is night nowhere in our sensory experience of the world?

Sensory experience: I do not have just 5 senses. I have the ability (as does everyone) to sense Existence; I can experience things that may have no name, no English word.

I can detect phenomena extra-sensory by Existence (as can everyone). You do not need word-labels or even 5 senses; you just need gut honesty openess to Existence.

I am aware that people create their own matrix. We are not all prisoners of our own "truths": because there is leakage; our systems are full of holes. The doors are open, you just need to go through them and more doors open.

Dismantling the temporal matrix of numbers, of coercive associations, in one's life is very useful if you want to "have life, and have it to the full".

Thomas Szasz exposes the dictatorship of casting moral disputes into a rhetoric of health.

Heating bills: I sympathise. However there exists a path where such things may lose their strength.

-Regards,

Alan

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins