Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why Not? You're Making Arguments Again, So It's All Good

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on November 13, 2003 23:06:04 UTC

~~"Why do I have to back up my opinion on evolution? Do you really care what I think?"~~

Why do you think I bother talking with you people? To hear the melodious sound of my own voice? If you're reluctant to explain yourself then why do you write here?

~~"If I say "wrestling is Language Removed", I don't feel I have to explain myself better."~~

This as I see it is exactly your problem. You see the issue as just a matter of preference, much like watching wrestling versus PBS, then, since you view it as a matter of opinion, don't back yourself up. Then I write sarcastic replies, which further justifies your lack of argumentation. (Though you made arguments this time, which was cool... I just like giving you a hard time.)

~~"What I dispute is the claim that the genetic mutations required to adapt to a new environment happen purely by chance. That is an extraordinary claim lacking evidence of any kind, extraordinary or otherwise."~~

Are the mutations that make your children taller or shorter than you random? Are the mutations that give your children more or less intelligence random?

And so what even if it isn't chance? Evolution could be a process directed by the hand of God.

~~"This sounds like the NRA motto:"theories don't make claims, only people do""~~

Well, as humorous the NRA is when it comes to arguments like this, it at least is logically valid. A gun in the hand of a trained, responsible adult is not a danger, and a theory in the mind of a reasonable human likely won't be taken off the deep end when it comes to what it implies. People who believe blindly in evolution and see it as disproof of God are the scientific equivalent of a drunken sociopath who buys an M-16 for "personal protection".

Guns aside, I can rest assured that no evolutionist will kill me if I believed in creationism. I, unfortunately, have no such confidence in the reverse situation. If a lot of people in this world who value blind, literal faith above scientific evidence had their way, I would likely be dead now. Shot with a gun, perhaps.

~~"Most people who are passionate about evolution theory claim that religion is superstition. Can you prove me wrong on that?"~~

I can offer my personal experience and that's about it. My parents are Christian and believe strongly in evolution and modern cosmology. A good chunk of the Christians I know are the same way.

~~"if something is true, then it's absolutely true."~~

That's just a linguistic trick, finding out if something is true is impossible.

~~"What just doesn't get to your head, because you erected an enormous barrier against it, is the possibility that most of our ideas about the universe and our place in it are just as ludicrous as the ones entertained a thousand years ago. You simply can't accept the possibility that we are as foolish as those people who believed they could control the weather by dancing, cure ailments by exorcism, or kill their enemies with voodoo dolls."~~

I never said we know everything, I never said science was totally accurate, I know that current scientific knowledge will one day be filed away under the same category as "the four humours" and "phrenology." I just say it's the best we have so far.

Taking science seriously and pursuing it as a civilization allows it to improve. Just because it doesn't provide us with anything true doesn't mean it doesn't provide us with anything better.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins