Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"Thou Shalt Not Pray In Synagogues Or On Street Corners?"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joseph on November 4, 2003 20:11:42 UTC

Unfortunately, I am not aware of Jesus specifically praying in the synagogue. . .I don't have a copy of the N.T. with me so I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the challenge!

And, if he (Jesus) did pray in a synagogue what is your position then? Will you actually change your opinion?

I noted the scripture the first time you quoted it, but I don't think it pertains. He (Jesus) tried to change peoples understanding of ritual, as he did with the sabboth, as well as prayer. It is quite common to take one scripture (as you have done) and apply it as law. I think you error. Had jesus believed that you should not (should not being the emphasis) pray in a Synagogue, he would have said so. . . as you noted, he was there quite frequently.

Matt 5:
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Your logic: therefore Christians should not pray in "church" or on street corners.

The lesson Jesus is teaching in this scripture is do not pray for man ("that they may be seen of men").

Who is the literalist?

Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins