Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Guess You Are Not A Born Again!!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 1, 2003 14:23:29 UTC

I agree with you. The born agains believe that belief is of the upmost importance whereas actions do not matter that much. Whereas it appears that you think that actions are what count no matter what you believe.

I have been trying to make that case with the born agains on this forum for some time using the words of Jesus Christ from the Gospel, which I believe supports your contention. A few brief examples.
1. Jesus prefers hot or cold individuals to the lukewarm (i.e., unbelief is OK)
2. Jesus will draw all (and women) to himself provided they love life, otherwise they will live their hated lives forever.(still no belief conditions, just an attitude condition)
3. All the law is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you; not as they actually do unto you. (so what counts are actions)
4. Love god, love your neighbor, love your life. (these are the actions that count)
5. Love your enemy (turn the other cheek) and become the sons of god.
(this action counts most of all)

No fire and brimestone or sacrifice for our sins in anything Jesus said. Hell is living in your hated life forever. The law is not a curse, but has to be kept in the stricter sense that Jesus taught.(I.E., no divorce, adultery in your heart, love enemies, judge not, etc.)

My argument presupposes the existence of god and salvation. But that is for born again consumption.
Jesus does say that you will be forgiven your sins if you accept the Holy Spirit as your guide. But he also said you will be forgiven your sins as you forgive others (like #4 above). He made that action a focus of his prayer.

So it appears from the words of Christ that there may be some advantage if you believe in god and christ. But that becomes a disadvantage if you do not also perform the actions implied by 1-5.

So for me it is clear from the words of Jesus that actions are of far more importance than belief; and in fact that a believer may be at a disadvantage, especially one that teaches that the law is a curse like Paul and the born agains do. So in this negative sense perhaps belief does matter.

Thanks for the opportunity to sum up my biblical beliefs,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins