Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Spirituality

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on October 30, 2003 22:24:36 UTC

I think it's a mistake to assume that agnostics are without spiritual sentiment... in many ways, I consider myself to be a rather spiritual person, I simply have no reason to take these sentiments seriously enough to call them "beliefs." As a matter of fact, I would suggest that ideas and notions of spirituality are more edifying and rewarding than faith in some ways, as I can remain open minded and not chained down by a preconcieved notion. Not to say that the emotional and spiritual security faith provides is without merit, however I find it illogical and thus not for me, essentially by definition.

Harv: "The former is a means to make the universe somewhat meaningful, the latter is a means to make the universe completely meaningful."

I think that's a rather glib analysis.... I think it would be much more fair to say that science is an attempt to bring meaning to the universe through analyzing the cosmos, while faith is an attempt to bring meaning to the universe through analyzing oneself. (it's not a perfect definition, but I think it's better. There are a lot of caveats I can make about them but I am low on time. Later tonight after studies, probably)

Oh, and by the way...

Harv: "it is the principle that matters, not the amount of indulgence one takes in such matters."

Harv: "the agnostic gets off the train too early, while the fundamentalist stays on the train too long."

Do you see a contradiction here?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins