Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
We Can Work On Problem Together

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Eric Clark on October 27, 2003 21:12:28 UTC

RE:>> * You are well-intentioned in your defense of every statement uttered in God's name is God speaking, however this undercuts all of the Christian statements made throughout your reply. The scriptures mentioned in I Sam. 15 are just small samplings of the supposed words from God that Christians must and should reject. *

If you believe me to be well intentioned, why would you not allow me to explain these verses in the light of why I believe them to be truth ?
Would you rather lay hold to your own opinion based on your human nature to be the final authority and thereby dictate in blanket fashion (as though you hold God’s authority) that all those who believe as I should denounce what they know to be true ?

RE:>> * I think fundamentalists make the error of defending these statements because they think that somehow if these words are fallible, then every statement in the bible is fallible and wrong. *
I might agree that some may in fact have that thought planted,
though I know the planter is not God.
However, I see no error in defending what I know to be truth.

RE:>> * This is the mistake made by fundamentalists. In addition, by trying to set-up the bible as if God dictated it I think you in essence are saying that the book is worthy of worship. Understand this, the bible is not to be worshipped. *
While you believe that I am mistaken about God dictating the Bible, I can accept your view, knowing that it is only the same Holy Spirit who Authored the Bible which can convict you and guide you into the truth about God’s word.
As for worship, this is where you are entirely mistaken, though, clearly, the living words of God, my Saviour, Lord, and Father, Comforter and Redeemer, are difficult for human nature to separate from a book made of paper and ink.
Though that paper and ink will fade away, these words shall stand forever.

RE:>> * It is a collection of human experiences, some are as divine as humans can experience, and some are so early in our encounter with the divine God that the view is entirely skewed and self-serving (e.g., I Sam 15). *
This is skewed and self-serving is your opinion based on what ? Your own knowledge and understanding ? Need I say more ? There is one who can teach you once you turn your life over to the One who loves you the most and died for you.

RE:>> * Truth in my view is not accessible to humans in any purest form. Everything that appears to be true is an approximation at best, and this approximation is watered down. *
In your view --
Do you believe the God is a Spirit which can communicate to you ?
Do you believe that His Spirit in not a pure form of truth ?

RE:>> * Hence, many of the things in the bible are valid for learning, but not necessarily applicable on how to live our lives today. *
They are applicable, but you must understand the rightly divided context.
You do not even want to learn that context. Could it be because you do not want the whole Bible to apply to you ? If the Bible is truth and does apply to you, where would that leave you ?

RE:>> * [f you do may I also ask – how do you pick which parts you believe and which parts you choose to reject ?]
As I said, Christians believe in the Holy Spirit. This is the presence of God which leads us to further spiritual understanding and it is what allows us to put away spiritually childish things. *
I believe this answered one of my earlier questions. I pray for you not to continue to harden your heart against His Spirit because of me. I love you my friend and only want you to be saved that we might spend an eternity exploring the wonders together.

RE:>> * May I presume you reject the part in the Bible about the resurrection of Jesus Christ ?
No, you cannot presume this. I believe that Jesus is alive.
The Logos (i.e., the process aspect of God) is * …
I see we do not believe in the same Jesus.
--“at Jesus' birth, the Logos became Jesus”—
No, my friend, Jesus, no some “Logos” has always been.
At birth, He became human flesh.

RE:>> * This is the identity relationship that humans should all seek in their life. The way to achieve this identity, is through the salvation process whereby we let Jesus Christ in our lives, and we live a new life. If we submit to God's will, then we too will achieve this identity with the Logos, and we will become co-heirs with Christ in the Kingdom of God. *
This is another gospel.
If you have not been endwelt by the Holy Spirit through the baptism of Jesus Christ,
I pray you will continue your search for the way, the truth, and the life: for no man can come to God but by Him.

My best wishes for your success in finding the calling of God to your own close personal relationship with the Lord.

Eric

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins