Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Probably Is Shakey

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Eric Clark on October 27, 2003 15:26:44 UTC

RE:>> * My understanding is that Judaism wasn't formed until after the collapse of Jerusalem in 70 AD. *
I’m with Richard on this one, as well as his suggestion that the historical evidence supporting the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and receiving the law from God through Moses wherein the he tribe of Juda(Jew) being placed as the priests with the Mosaic law was the beginning of Judaism, which was to follow the law.

RE:>> * At the time of Jesus there were different religions of the Jewish people, which included the Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, Nazrenes, Qumran community, and probably others that we know little or nothing about. *
While I am not real familiar with each of the names mentioned, except the first two, but these were different sects, as opposed to different religions. Such as the followers of Christ have fallen prey to the same dividing practices of Judaism in their denominational separation into Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, etc.

RE:>> * Perhaps Jesus wasn't interested in starting a religion, but I personally think that is unlikely. *
Jesus interest was the same as His Father’s. And it was not to start a religion, but to bring life.

RE:>> * it would appear that Jesus taught to bear the suffering that came from all areas (e.g., Roman rule, taxes, poverty, etc). *
Yes, bear under suffering, but with added teaching to overcome evil with good.
( i.e., work to improve government, and to reduce poverty, etc. )

God bless your search for truth.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins