Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thanks, Alan

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on September 27, 2003 16:57:09 UTC

Hi Alan,

I'll take the title back now, if you don't mind. Extreme solipsism is the best two-word summary of my beliefs. I believe there is but one consciousness in existence (i.e. one and only one soul) which means that solipsism explains reality.

In my view it is extreme in the sense that it is not the simple view of solipsism sometimes considered by people. In the simple view, the individual supposes that he/she is the only consciousness in existence and that the apparently conscious other people really aren't conscious but merely illusions.

In my extreme view, it is not any individual human that is conscious; it is none of them. But if you think of the consciousness experienced by (via) your brain as a conscious experience, then all the other people also have similar conscious experiences which would deny the usual version of solipsism.

So, thank you for relinquishing the title to me. I will continue to think of myself as an Extreme Solipsist.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins