Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
An Uncaused God

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 26, 2003 14:36:39 UTC

I think causation (i.e., non-caused Creator) does not apply to God. It is like saying causation is uncaused. Since you just get into an infinite regress on why this is so, etc. The point is that in order for causation to be a meaningful concept, it must be treated as a primitive. When one treats causation as a primitive, we are also saying that this concept itself involves the notion of God. So, I wouldn't say that God is uncaused per se (i.e., I might say it, but technically it is not correct). Rather, ultimate reality is a primitive that includes things like God, truth, causation, logic, etc. Even to ask the question what caused these things is to assume these things in the first place, hence the notion of these things being uncaused is somewhat incorrect in my view.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins