Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
More Blah-blah-blah

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Just Dropping By on September 25, 2003 13:20:34 UTC

"if one side walks away from the discussion not having answered the other's objections nor shown where the other is wrong, it seems appropriate for the former to declare a win for himself"

Who said anything about winning??? Is this a competition? Maybe for you, not for me. If you like to think you've "won", be my guest!

The reason I "walked away" is simple: this discussion is nonsense! I'm not trying to convince you that reality cannot be defined as a set of numbers, that DoctorDick is a sick man, or anything else. I know better than to waste too much time with meaningless jibber-jabber!

But I have an ever stronger reason not to reply to your arguments: they are silly! Just look at this:

"You got that first part right, since an infinite collection of 9's is a set of numbers."

So an infinite collection of 9's also obeys the laws of physics. That means all our observations of the world, all the knowledge we gathered through centuries of rational analysis, our science is not enough to tell whether reality is or is not an infinite collection of 9's.

If you want to believe that kind of balderdash, please don't let me stand in your way!

"But you got the last part wrong because "a whole lot of nothing" is not a set of numbers"

Last time I checked, an infinite collection of zeroes is a set of numbers. But you wouldn't know that, you obviously have some sort of trouble reading, just like DoctorDick has trouble writing. Come to think of it, you both make a perfect match!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins