Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
If You Can't Take The Heat ...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on September 24, 2003 18:30:17 UTC

Hi Bruce,

"Does anyone, including yourself, take that kind of balderdash seriously?"

Yes, I do, except that I don't consider it "balderdash".

"Here's something equivalent to what you're saying:

DoctorDick is an amazing genius who discovered a way to translate any foreign book to English. He hasn't actually come up with a translating device yet (he leaves that for future generations), but he has proved to me that his method works. I have seen his translations of two foreign books and they look exactly the same as the ones in my local library! I'm completely in awe of his genius, and I can't understand why no one takes him seriously. "

Here, again your concept of "equivalence" is in error. Here are some things I didn't say:

I never said Dr. Dick is "an amazing genius".

I never said I'm completely in awe of his genius.

I never said I can't understand why no one takes him seriously.

But I would agree that if someone claimed to have such a translation device and they showed that it could translate all existing foreign books, or even two for that matter, I would certainly expect it to be able to translate new books after they are written.

"You have to excuse me if I don't have a lot of respect for your intelligence. I'm really sorry."

Don't be sorry. You're excused. I have no need for your respect.

Warm regards,

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2018 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins