Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
That Answer Shows No Thought At All, And Is Dimmer Than Light

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on August 29, 2003 02:41:13 UTC

Dimmer Than Light wrote:
"When one lives in a liberal democracy and enjoys the relative affluences that allows for things like leisure time, then one might come to expect that planetariums, libraries and internet access are human birthrights."

One may have any delusion one likes in any society. This delusion you described is unrelated to what I was thinking and seems not to be based on research of any kind.

Dimmer Than Light wrote:
"Most of the Earth's six billion people (it's billion, not million, by the way) might claim that their own daily preoccupation with the tasks of feeding and sheltering themselves and their families make planetariums about as relevant to their existence as cholera and typhoid would be to yours."

Well, besides not reading my numbers right (and I'll have an arithmetic contest with you if you like), you miss the fact that the population explosion in poor country resulted from advances in science, and did NOTresult from advances in anonymous, patronizing pooh-poohing against Mike Pearson's well-founded policy ideas.
The same policy makers who make the population explosion can BLUDDY WELL consider the consequences and get behind Mike Pearson's well-founded policy ideas. Unfortunately, along with thousands of good thinkers such as me, there are thousands of distorters, harrassers, hangers-on and liars to ruin or delay any such programs. Are you one too?

Dimmer Than Light wrote:
"
Unfortunately I think that public planetariums and the way of life that goes with them are luxuries for the relatively few. I share your desire that all people might one day get to enjoy them."

It is not about luxury. It is about survival via
facing reality. If the people are ignorant, they will follow despotic sociopaths. A planetarium solution, with presentations therein to be free of economic theories, is prescribed. Any complaints?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins