Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sorry For The Length!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Duane Eddy on August 14, 2003 23:48:05 UTC

You ask hard questions!

You said:
Yes, in my religion we will eventually become gods, with god's help.

Is that slightly above God, equal with God, or slightly below God.

You said:
The rabis who wrote the Torah also dated the universe as 6,000 plus years old. What gives you the right to change their determination, since they are supposedly writing the word of god.

I was understood that Moses ( or God ) wrote the Torah, or at least the first few chapters of Geneses.
In chapter 12 is a story which seems to indicate that Aaron, the first Rabi’s opinion was not the best opinion to have. If its any consolation I don’t follow the Pope blindly either. I figure that when I meet my Maker, He is not going to let me pass the blame on to everyone else and so I better read it for myself. Just in case the Rabi isn’t able to guarantee me a free pass.

Yes, I would like your explanation of how the sun, moon and stars could be created after the earth.

The Earth’s surface was recreated after the pattern of the creation of the universe.
To put it another way the Earths recreation is a model of the universe.
Each action taken by God during the recreation week is a demonstration of what happened in a period of the creation of the universe.
Each physical change imposed on the Earths surface indicates a physical change which happened to the universe.
Each type of plant or animal life form created on the earth indicates a life form was created in the universe.
God defines the firmament as an air space between an upper water canopy and an ocean beneath.
Gen 1:7
God calls the air space the “firmament heaven” which is to say it is named after the cosmos "heaven" but designated as different from the cosmos with the word "firmament".
The Hebrew words are different of course.
You can look at them in an interlinear translation if you wish.
Some translations designate the “firmament heaven” as sky which is a correct interpretation in my estimation.
On the fourth day God places lights in the “firmament heaven”.
These lights are not in the cosmos “heaven” but in the sky “firmament heaven” under the water canopy.
The stars we see were created in verse 1 when the Earths mass was also created.
On the sixth day the last part of the Earths recreation is the addition of a creature like no other.
The creation of Man who is to play the part ( “in the image” Gen 1:26) of God in the Earth model.
Man is given the authority to rule the Earth as God rules the universe.
Unfortunately the upper water canopy collapses in a world wide flood (Gen 7:11 ) indicating a scarey future for the universe and destroys the intricate lighting system created in the sky.
In my estimation it was much easier to for God to created a light show in the sky then plant life.
But I wasn't there to see it for myself.

This is of course a quick fly over.
In this way God has shown not only the creation of the cosmos but its future.
There is even a purpose for ( some of ? ) mankind as they are shown married to ( becoming one with ) God who is finally able to rest on the seventh day.

Notice that in this literal interpretation of the days of creation carry incredible amounts of information instead of being a meaningless jumble of disordered information.

For instance stars occur in the fourth portion of the creation of the universe and life of some kind exists already.
Each verse is packed with so much information its like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant.

You said:
God has given us free will so that we can accept him or reject him. Therefore, he will give us no scientific evidence that forces a choice on us. If he did we would lose the free choice to reject him, and accepting him into our hearts would not be so meaningful.

That was incredibly insightful.
The more He is your free will choice, the more proof He has the freedom to show you.

You said:
I would also like you to reply to my literal interpretation of the requirement to die and be reborn in order to enter heaven. I presume that your interpretation is not literal, but rather assumes that it can happen while you are alive.

If you read John 3:1 - 3:7 it is evident that “born again” does not refer to physical birth so Paul probably had it right. However the passage seems to indicate that this disposable body we live in is no big deal. The next one is the important one.
Just as a side thought in Gen.5:23 and 24 Enoch apparently went to heaven without death.
And in Numbers 16:30 to16:35 a whole group went to hell alive, if taken literally of course.
God seems to have the ability to do anything he decides to do.

You said:
I would also like you to respond to my literal interpretation that you have to keep all the laws of Moses to get into heaven. Christians do not take this part of the Bible literally.

We should attempt to, but the Torah makes it clear that only the Messiah will keep the law flawlessly and in fact it was his test to pass not ours because He is the only one with a perfect soul. Isaiah 59:15 to the end of the chapter.
The Messiah is God himself willing His power removed, so he can live under our constraints to be an example for us.

As a man He also has the rights of the redeemer according to Jewish law to purchase back one who has sold them self into slavery.

Some commands are given to a select group.
Samson was given a command through his parents not to cut his hair, touch dead things, or drink wine but this was not the requirement for everyone.
Moses’s mother followed the commands given to Noah by choice and built a boat to save Moses her newborn son. God honored the action and not only saved Moses but the entire nation with His response. Gen 6:14 and Exodus 2:3

You said:
Bottomline- You do not take the whole of the bible as literal. Neither do I. We just disagree on which parts should be taken literally.

So true.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins