Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Your Expecting Standard Opinions Here??!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Duane Eddy on August 11, 2003 00:25:12 UTC

You said:
At least that is the consensis among protestant theologians and reform rabis, from whom I learned of this discrepancy in the bible. The rabis in particular have discussed at length why god should make such a mistake.

Response
I don’t believe the Torah describes the Jewish people as being right all the time. Are you so sure they’re right about this, or are you suggesting I should use some kind of “blind faith” and accept there opinions without question or reading it for myself.

You said:
My view is that god was telling us that we should not believe everything in the Torah at face value. Rather we should study and understand the deeper significance of the Torah.

Response
It is safe to assume a nonliteral translation. Words can be redefined as anything you wish making it impossible to be wrong. The redefinition of the meaning of words also makes it easy to modify the story meaning to comply with the interpreters whims.
Nonliteral translations are a gutless approach which doesn’t give the author Moses (or God) a fair shot.
Are you afraid that the Torah can not stand an inspection?
Actually after a close inspection I found the first chapter to be flawless but the story was quite different than what I had been told.

You said:
Moses reinforced that view when he told in the oral tradition how to resolve conflicting commandments. We are to find the deeper significance that makes both commandments correct.

Response
There are no commandments in the first chapter.
If there are conflicting statements it should at least be considered that the reader has made a faulty assumption.

You said:
My view of the first light is that it corresponds somehow to the first light of the big bang. And so god is anticipating modern cosmology.

I would agree except I would say God created cosmology.

You said:
However, we are all free to adopt any interpretation we which. Unless you read Hebrew, please remember that we are at the mercy of the human translators. And even if we read Hebrew, we are at the mercy of the rabis who originally wrote it all down. It may be incorrect to assume that the rabis were always correct. In fact, it is possible that evil trckled in along with the inspiration of god that supposedly makes the Torah the word of God.

Response
Although I consider the Jewish leaders to be fallible, they are a very religious people. Due to their belief that the Torah is God breathed they have maintained the Torah in a very accurate state as has been proven by the discovery of the dead sea scrolls.
As to reading Hebrew I do not. I have found however there is a large number of capable individuals who are interested in this text and every possible consideration of the definitions of the words in the text known to modern man has been documented.

Comment
If you are NOT willing to consider the text literally then a logical discussion is difficult at best because the rules of logic require a foundation on which arguments can be built.
If you are willing to consider the text literally then this could be an interesting discussion.
You may find the Torah is capable of withstanding an inspection?
I did.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins