Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes And No

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on August 10, 2003 05:14:13 UTC

"Is life just a chemical reaction?"

perhaps, but within the quantum realm that governs chemical reactions we have a principle called the uncertainty principle which in my opinion makes it likely that we have free will.
if we have free will, we can transcend the state of being merely a chemical reaction.

"Science is really just about naming things; find something nobodies noticed before and name it."

the above mentioned is part of what science is but science is also about understanding and predicting.

"So is the soul and spiritless, dreamless way to define life a chemical reaction? As I read in another entry do stars experience things?"

i don't think so. since we have free will, it seems we are able to transcend the everyday limitations of physics such that we are able to express soulfulness and spirituality and still survive.
as for the stars and other objects of the physical world, i would like to believe that they do experience things on some level. not at the level of sentient beings though.

regards,
tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins