Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alan- You Can Talk To Me

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 8, 2003 12:19:00 UTC

Please excuse me Harv, but I think Alan needs to express himself and needs a little feedback for continued expression, just as he thanked you for stimulating him to another conclusion.

I have the advantage that Alan and I have already agreed to disagree. So he does not have to convince me of anything. Rather, I have to ask particular questions, which he may not answer. But which will prompt him to think some more about his ideas. Then again he may not be motivated to respond to someone who is already in disagreement.

For example, my current question to Alan is whether consciousness is required for "counting". Alan has not explicitly answered this yet except to discuss the base of counting, which implies a consciousness.

Anyway, the bottomline here is that forums of this type should be an opportunity to express and develop one's ideas more than just being an opportunity for debate with winners and losers. I benefited from such a discourse and Alan can, without having to see things my way.

So I think that we should support the thinking of others even if it is disagreeable. We of course should express our disagreement, and that expression need not be as long as what we disagree with. But I think it is far more important to offer constructive criticism in a manner that supports the ideas of others .

Sincerely,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins