Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well, We Have This Tendency To...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on August 7, 2003 05:20:46 UTC

Well, we have this tendency to "catch the ball once" and then "claim we know the sport". or, in a nutshell, get a small taste of the food and think we understand the whole meal, how it was cooked, and the life story of the chef who prepared it. (of course with a bit of epicurean calculus we might be able to perform the latter... hehe...)

Yeah, in some respects we humans have this tendency to get too excited and run off in to areas that we are not prepared to go. Do I think we are playing GOD, well, frankly, not really. We have been blessed and cursed (by virtue of free will) with two attributes called curiosity and the capacity to learn.

Now, employ these two attributes (letting emotion and not pure common sense drive free will) and you most likely have a mess on your hands.

I think we have to attempt to fully comprehend/understand the implications of genetic altering (and tasks of its same proportion) first with minimal or no experimentation (suggestively none) before we attempt such feats. This means to me that we should sit and watch, or simply learn.

Back on the playing GOD subject. GOD gave us what we have. So, I think, we are still playing human we just do not fully comprehend the implications of sticking our hand in "that type of fire"

A girl in my class (long time ago) told me that she hated computers because they were not natural. Well, I told her, you can "hate" computers all you want, but as far as "not natural" goes I have to disagree. They, to me are 100% natural. They are made from 100% natural resources through and through, and powered by them. And to further add to the conversation; We, used a subset of tools (thought of and crafted over centuries, eons etc) to build computers, which by the way, is just another tool. OK, so it's a tool that has bugs...

So, to say that we play GOD is quite a statement to make. I think we are just taking on tasks that we have the capacity to do but are, at the moment, beyond our greater comprehension...

Regards

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins