Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 24, 2003 15:03:44 UTC

I have numerous criticisms of Dick's approach. Although, I think you are onto a good track that I wish I would have taken your approach instead of the machine gun approach that I have historically taken with Dick (although it won't do any good...).

If I can add anything just as fundamental as you did, I think the answer that I have never gotten from Dick with any kind of consistency is whether he is advocating an epistemological model of reality or is he advocating an ontological model of reality. At first glance and after frequent comments, you would think he is sticking to an epistemological model, but he every so often makes ontological statements (e.g., 'knowable data' as something that is ontologically true). This is fundamental, I think, because it prevents Dick approaches the matter with some consistency. By swinging back and forth between epistemic and ontic statements, it makes his approach very suspect and leads to some very bizarre statements by him (e.g., his comments that Einstein made high school mistakes about how he 'defined' time, etc).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins