Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
C1 =/= C2

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Levine on July 21, 2003 19:06:49 UTC

Well, let me clarify by what "truth does not exist" is supposed to mean. It means that no particular conceptual scheme captures the essence of ding an sich and, as you pointed out, I should mention that conceptual schemes can be incommensurable (T2') with each other

The problem is that "ding an sich" is just a fantasy in a philosopher's mind. Obviously no conceptual scheme can capture the essence of something which lacks any essence to start with. Human languages, such as the one we are using right now, were not created to deal with abstractions, they were created to refer to things in the world of perceptions. "That river", "this tree", "look, a snake, let's get running", this is what's English is for.

If you want to get the truth of abstract ideas, math is your only option. Beyond that, all you have are those German expressions which few people can understand, let alone agree with.

But of course this post is about abstract ideas and is written in English, which means you won't understand it, let alone agree with it. I suggest we change the subject if you don't mind.

ML

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins