Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Has God Told YOU The "Whole Truth?"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on July 20, 2003 15:19:05 UTC

Fine.. Harv hides me for saying to him what he said to me.

Regarding the idea that God's language is truth and that God speaks through math and science:
I will make the case -- for the good of the order, not for my ego -- that this idea only works if we don't give any license to mathematicians or scientists... It is an emotional connection to the Almighty, but science and math must be seen as analytical of
parts and not appreciative of end products.
For example: scientists discover the means to build technologies but it is commercial interests employing engineers .... and politicians ... that determine how technologies are used. So if God has spoken through Math and science He has spoken more forefully through other avenues.
For another example, science discovers medicines in venom. This is done by ignoring the fact that venomous serpents are someone the Bible would not have you doing business with.

Harv wrote:
"So, next time someone asks the question "what is truth", you know what to tell them: it's the language of God. The question now, is trying to understand that language."

I am refuting your nice-sounding thesis because it leaves open the absolute certainty of abuse. The problem is broached but not solved.
Sounds like anonymous Harv is giving up on mystics and wants to hand governing power over to PhD mathematicians and scientists.

Our justice system sometimes asks more truth of men than some persons ask of God. God is not required to tell us everything...not even in the fine print. Strange. Some truth that is. In court in the United States, a person had been
asked to promise tell the "whole truth." I think I've heard this may have been amended.
But have you ever asked God to tell you "the whole truth?" And

I think what Harv has said is
1) God gives us a body of truth which one may fail to comprehend owing to a lack of education in advanced math and science -- and
2) We may discard as not being God's truth: all the statements in the Bible (written by men and attributed to God) which are not scientifically and mathematically rigorous.

"In the Gospel of John, when Pontius Pilate had Jesus in his palace, the question he asked to Jesus was "What is truth?" A good question to ask God if you perceive Jesus to be God. It was a question he received no answer."

Albert Einstein attempted to answer the question "What is Truth?" in the first few pages of his book, Relativity .

Harv writes:
"...truth is the language of God. Actually, I like this definition of truth for a few reasons. It answers why mathematics and logic seem like truth to us. It is because these 'languages' are similar to the language spoken by God."

Is that true of the speeches attributed to God in the Christian "Holy Bible"? Is that the God of which you speak, Harv?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins