Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Correction...(?)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on July 18, 2003 19:11:48 UTC

I may be wrong here (that's what the "?" was for in the title), but doesn't Godel's proof actualy state that any formal system of logic is incomplete, hence there will always be "more truth out there" than can be proved by any arbitrary formal system...?

For example: for every formal system founded on A1, A2, A3, ... An axioms, there exists a sentence which can neither be proved true nor false within this formal system, hence logic/mathematics is insufficient to prove every aspect of reality. There will always be questions that must go on unanswered, no matter how knowledgeable and advanced the system of logic.

I don't recall the mention of required paradoxes & contradictions. In fact a system of logic requiring contradictions is itself illogical and absurd. Contradictions inherently collapse any proof, and are the ultimate downfall of any logic system if they cannot be discarded. However, I may be sadly mistaken... What do you say?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins