Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Get It

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Carl Lewis on July 14, 2003 13:46:23 UTC

If the concept of four as existing made life significantly happier, then why not believe in four?

I never heard that before. An interesting proposition, believing because it makes you happier.

I believe in logic existing

I believe in logic, but I'm not so sure about the "existing" thing. Does logic "exists" the way my chair does?

That doesn't mean that it is impossible we are wrong

If you're talking about logic, then it seems impossible to be wrong about it. For one thing, if logic goes out the window, so do right, wrong, and everything else you think you know. Logic is knowledge, in its absence there's only ignorance, including ignorance of one's own ignorance.

it just means that we recognize the fallibility of human knowledge and that we go with beliefs that deliver the best punch for the dollar so to speak.

Somehow I missed the place where you said just because we don't know everything then we can believe anything, especially if it makes us happier. I'm certainly not aware of the concept.

Can I believe I have a billion dollars in the bank? Why not?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins