Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Would You Believe, Part Way Down?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 14, 2003 05:02:47 UTC

Hi Mark,

"If there is no first principle, then what is there? It may be perhaps more sophisticated than turtles, but seemingly just as ludicrous.
"

My guess is that instead of a first principle, there was a primordial consciousness. My hunch is that waaaay back, that primordial consciousness was very simple, maybe nothing more than the ability to be able to distinguish between something and nothing -- between a 0 and a 1, or a blip and the absence of a blip.

That would be less sophisticated than turtles, but I suppose you could see it as ludicrous. People who think they have seen it (count me as one of them) sometimes describe it as the Cosmic Joke.

It all makes sense to me, though, and from what little I know about Chris Langan's CTMU, he has figured out how it all started and how it all developed from just that sort of starting point. All other accounts I am aware of bear a strong resemblance to the stack of turtles.

I don't know if that's much help to you. It is simply one man's guess and opinion.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins