Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Are, So Get Moving!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 13, 2003 19:49:04 UTC

Hi Mike,

"I am stuck on "I think, therefore I am." "

To get unstuck, you need to comb through all those personal pronouns. Here's the way to sort them out. If, by any of them, (sigh) you mean merely bodies, brains, stars, galaxies, or marbles, then the antecedent of the pronoun is one of many entities that exist in time. If, on the other hand, you mean the thing that thinks, knows, experiences, and wills things, then there is only one of those and it doesn't exist in our time ("our time" is what humans measure with clocks and calendars).

So, if you make a choice between these two alternatives for each and every use of a personal pronoun in your post, I think all your questions will admit obvious answers. Let me know if that doesn't work.

You also have to pay attention to any temporal reference, such as "first", "sequence", etc. Picking one or the other of the two alternatives also tells you what time zone you are in.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins