Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Know "Brilliant Pebbles"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 12, 2003 22:14:56 UTC

Hi Mike,

"If the "conscious thinking knowing" parts of us are "more than merely thoughts in the mind of God" then do we together comprise a sort of of "Brilliant Pebbles" of the mind of God
(if the reference seems familiar)?
"

The reference is not familiar to me. But I'll have a crack at your if...then question.

Again, the stumbling block is the "we". If, by "we", you mean the conscious thinking knowing parts, which you explicitly did, then you need to recognize that the "we" is singular. It is unity. There is only one such.

Just this morning I was reading in "The Parmenides" where Parmenides and Socrates were going at "unity" with a vengeance trying to figure out if it could be the same as or different from anything else, or if it could be bigger or smaller, or contained in, or anything else. They made no headway except to understand that you couldn't say much intelligible about unity, "The One".

So when you ask whether "we together comprise" something or other, you are really asking whether "unity together comprises" something or other. Using Parmenides' logic, "together" has no meaning when applied to unity. There is not a multiplicity of anything to get "together". There is just the one thing.

Now, does the one thing "comprise" anything? Well, yes, I guess you could say it comprises everything, including Brilliant Pebbles, whatever they are.

If you agree with this conclusion, then you might respond to me with the final line of The Parmenides:

"Most true!"

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins