Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Carl Lewis on July 11, 2003 18:40:59 UTC

Saying 'God exists' is a meaningful phrase since it provides hope for humans that maybe the events happening in our lives are not random mesh, but rather our lives have some type of design and overall purpose

I guess that depends on what we mean by "meaningful". Some people are actually disturbed by the prospect of our lives having some type of design and overall purpose - it gives them a sense of not being in control, or something of the like.

But the reason I said any statement about God is either false or meaningless has nothing to do with how one feels regarding one's life. The concept "God" is an abstraction, and statements about abstract concepts cannot be proven true except via logic. And the problem is that, aside from people who enjoy playing language games, no one is interested in logical proofs about God. What people really want is solid proof, the kind of proof that has the power to convince a skeptic, but no such thing can be produced for any abstract entity.

It's like trying to prove that the number four exists. I can show you four pebbles, four trees, four houses, and you can always tell me I'm proving that pebbles, trees, houses exist, not numbers.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins