Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Was Vague...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mikey Pearson on July 10, 2003 01:26:19 UTC

In the post I called a little vague, you wrote, in part,
"...There is something you’re missing here. In Islam, your duty is to God and your responsibility is to Him. An American once told me that he likes the fact that in Islam your relationship with God is direct, there’s no third party. So there’s no accusation/defense process about morals. But of course there is to acts that affect the society, and this is the Islamic law or shareea applied only by the state."

If prostitution is punishable by
death in some Muslim countries, is that not an
"accussation/defense process about morals" ?
In our country, through the process of arguing in court, we have determined that prostitution, separate from other crimes, is
not as serious an offense as once thought in other lands. There is no opportunity to argue this if the matter is considered an absolute
matter by the state, right? Is there a strenuous defense for a prostitute who is arrested, or someone accused of some other act considered immoral in your religion?
It might seem unthinkable to you now, but
some folks consider other common habits of
civilization to be much more risky to the health and well-being of society, and assign these a greater level of remedial or punitive justice than prostitution.

Nahla: "God created us to know Him. And however god-consciousness you feel, there’s still more to DO. How do you know you’re feeling as much God consciousness as a typical human can experience? Prophet Mohammed said, “Work is worship”. That’s very important in Islam, being active and productive. As for worship acts like praying and fasting, they aim at knowing your duty to God and purifying your soul. Fasting helps you control your desires and anger. And as for praying, you cannot experience God’s greatness without kneeling to him, a moment prophet Mohammed describes as the closest you can come to God and at which you ask him for what you want."

The lastter statement is interesting, for we are sometimes overwhelmed by mediocre inputs in our world and maybe (at least maybe!) dwelling on a deep subject like God is good for us. What does God get out of it?

You said Islam means "submission to the will of God."
When I asked, “Is Islam an entity which performs this "condemnation" and/or its more developed process?”.......
Nahla wrote:
"As much as Islam condemns bad deeds and morals, it orders and encourages good ones. . .(etc.)..."

You write many beautiful phrases which may please the soul to contemplate. There is not enough of this in everyday life. Still, it is mysterious to me how one person or official, citing the authority of "submission to the will of God, can punish another. We require non-religious law for this
perhaps we don't think persons acting in the name of God ought to be carrying out justice on Earth...How can they be held answerable to human reasoning if they claim their motivation was not given in the rules of this world? I don't know whether we will both see this contrast in the same way. You might be dedicated to your way of thinking, and I to mine. But I, at least, admit it is merely thinking. You might be claiming God told you, therefore we cannot question it based on reason. It's kind of a convoluted vagueness.

Sincerely,
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins