Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The "Exception"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on July 6, 2003 18:40:15 UTC

We probably all yearn to be original and in the
possible interconnections between things, there is probably room for us all to occupy an informational niche created by the ponderous
aggregation of lines of thought already oozing forward through time with us.
But can we depart from interconnectioned ideas to pose a piece of the puzzle which will fit in later but for now has no contiguous partners?
This is enabled by pure abstraction, maybe,
in the style of Mendeleev, who made a periodic table by extrapolating and arranging something which was incoherent mush to most of us.

You asked two questions which I can address by thinking of something someone ELSE said, at least:
Mark:
"And the point of this all? No point...
This particular arrangement of quantum dust just happens to call it "interesting"."

Here's a strange assertion from Robin Williams' character in the movie based on Isaac Asimov story Bicentenniel Man. He longed to be human but was android. Someone stated that to be human is to be able to do or say the wrong
thing.
I don't know if I'm comfortable with the completeness of that assertion.

Mark:
"But what does it matter?"

If we (the universe) don't have purpose now, we have the option of choosing purpose to go on.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins