Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 5, 2003 11:54:46 UTC

Hi Kyle,

I'm not saying we will travel at superluminal speeds or jumps, nor am I saying we won't. The case against it right now is overwhelming for sure, the problem is that we don't know how much more additional physics lies in our future. If we are close to the end of finding out all the laws of physics, then it is unlikely we could travel at superluminal speeds or jumps. On the other hand, if the universe is 'made' for superluminal travel much in the way it appears to be 'made' for planetary systems, then all our skepticism doesn't mean squat. Speculation is fun, and of course superluminal speculation is the most fun, but we just don't have enough information of the future to speculate. As far as we know, intelligence blows itself up in early technological development every time it occurs, so superluminal travel is a mute issue. Or, as far as we know, Sagan's 'tunnels' (as mentioned in his book 'Contact') have already been constructed by advanced civilizations, and all we have to do is pay toll. Right now, I'm skeptical, but I probably would have been equally skeptical if I lived in Galileo's time that we'd ever travel to Jupiter. However, now I'm not so skeptical about that possibility. I think this issue really centers in on what, if any, is the purpose for us being here, and what kind of interstellar civilization that God wants there to be. Perhaps airplane travel between once inseparable distances indicates that God will allow these interstellar distances to one day be hours away?? Only God knows.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins