Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Funny That You Mentioned Money

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 4, 2003 14:51:16 UTC

(I had just finished composing this message when I read your last post - it couldn't have been more appropriate)

Harv,

As you certainly know, Brazil is a poor country. Down there, something like one third of the population survives with the minimum wage, which is controlled by the federal government and amounts to less than US$100.

Now because most people do not understand the full intricacies of economic science, they think the government is evil for keeping the minimum wage so low, when all it takes to better the conditions of the poor is a simple decree. In the economically-challenged person's mind, the reason they earn so little is because the government wants it that way.

I wish things were that simple, but it is a fact that any primitive species of hominids know, with as much certainty as the fact that they are a primitive species of hominids, that the actual figure of the minimum wage is a meaningless number. Any primitive species of hominids know that it is wealth, not the number of zeros in one's pay cheque, which prevents one from starving. And any primitive species of hominids know that it is education and work, not decrees, that create wealth.

So when you tell me I don't know what the limits to space travel are, I can only feel sorry for you in the same way I feel sorry for the man who, in matters of economics, believes his wishful thinking matters more than cold logic.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins