Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's Moslems Who Did

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Nahla Ghoneim on July 2, 2003 23:08:11 UTC

I thought fundamentalist meant going BACK to fundamentals. We have different concepts of the word ‘Islamic Fundamentalism’. You think it means retardation of science and underdevelopment, but it doesn’t. Because as I showed you ‘the fundamentals of Islam’ i.e. the Quran and prophet Mohammed’s sayings, urge us to quest Science. So what really happened when Islamic civilization began to falter was giving up Islamic principles. Abandoning Science, unity, and military power, unlike what the Quran orders us to do in clear words. Another saying:
“Quest Science from cradle to grave”
Blaming Islam for current Moslem conditions is like blaming Christianity for the Dark Ages. Not only am I in favor of ‘liberalizing’ Islam as you call it, but it is our duty.
I understand why you call the Quran very repetitive. You must keep in mind that translation not only makes it lose its beauty, but you feel a lot of things are repeated because many Arabic words are translated to the same English word, but the truth is the Arabic words give slightly different meanings (I read the statistics but I don’t remembe them). Also, an Arabic word might have more than one meaning (that could both do), and the translator must choose. So this might give you human error.
I think I now know what you mean. What happened in the 13th century was something concerned with Religious matters, although I’m not sure exactly. In short, it has nothing to do with Science and saying this is completely warped.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins