Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Military Industrial Complex Blackballed Me

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 30, 2003 13:00:46 UTC

And that was because they perceived that in 1988 I had prevented funding of the Early Deployment System, a space based missile system in which 10-20 kinetic kill vehicles (KKVs) are carried on 500-1000 space platforms orbiting the earth. I proved that one KKV could destroy an entire platform yielding a minimum of a 20:1 CER (cost effectiveness ratio). Actually if you include the overhead of the platform the CER is more like 100:1. Ordinary battles are considered winnable if the CER is 2:1.

My analysis made the centerfold of Arms Control Today in April of 1988.

The result is that Greg Canavan, then an Air Force officer at Los Alomos and Edward Teller, his consultant, invented the Brilliant Pebbles defense system which is the only system that works and is not inherently vulnerable. It is the system Bush wants to deploy but has not told us yet. The ground based systems will not work because of decoys.

In the space based systems, the ICBMs are shot down in boost-phase where the defense gets multiple warheads for the price of one KKV and decoys are not yet deployed. That is the only missile system that makes sense. The rest is just 'foot-in-the-door'.

What makes Brilliant Pebbles work, that is, to shoot down boosters and not be vulnerable, is that in concept the KKVs are no longer grouped in bunches of 10-20 on platforms where they can be taken out with a single missile.

Instead they orbit independently in space, all 10,000 of them. and automatically attack any ICBM size booster in launch phase. This is the perfect defense system.

So perfect that it destroyed any thoughts of space defense back in 1988, as the system will also take out every other big booster launched into space, thereby ending the space program. It might be possible to put up communication satellites without triggering the KKVs, but nothing bigger.

Congress could not swallow such a system in the 1980s, but in the advent of 9/11, and perhaps more of the same, its thinking may be more amenable to such a deployment. All it would take is an attack from a single ICBM to pass such a bill. That could easily be arranged by a dirty tricks program. The warhead would be a dud, but Congress would get the message and deploy the system.

So I got blamed for stopping space missile defense. I was working for the missile directorate of SDI before quiting my job to protest the early deployment. In fact I was the founder and for a time the only researcher in their ICBM KKV kill assessment program. But after 1988 I could not get a job with that directorate or any of its contractors.

However, the ground-based laser directorate was pleased that I had stopped the missile system as there would no money left for them if the space system was deployed. The head of SDI, Louis Marquet, a laser guy who I had worked with at MIT and who was the fife sergeant in the Concord Minuteman- I was the drum sergeant- got me a job with Litton ITEK Optical Systems on the thermal blooming problem with ground-based lasers.

Funny how things turn around. Back in 1980 I had told the govt that the ground based laser defense system could not work because adaptive optics could not overcome atmospheric turbulence. At that time I was blackballed by the laser side of SDI, actually part of DARPA at that time- SDI did not exist as a name yet- but I was able to get work from the missile directorate, who were happy that I had damaged the laser rep. Unfortunately I did not get much of the money that was transferred to missiles from lasers in 1981.

So at ITEK I was responsible for the Thermal Blooming Adaptive Optics Program, even though I knew it would not work. They had been trying to make it work from almost 10 years. Finally in 1990 they gave up and cancelled the program. You see the Berlin Wall had come down and we had won the cold war and exotic weapons program at SDI was just a bluff to drive the USSR into bankruptcy.

It did not matter if the lasers and electron beam weapons, etc., did not work, as long as the USSR military thought they would. From my personal contacts with USSR scientists at International meetings, the more liberal, and intelligent I might add, USSR scientists cooperated with us in pulling off the bluff (I was a scientific spy- Mike will love that one). They got rich from USSR military funding for such efforts, in you know what I mean. BTW I found out in 1975 that it was all a bluff- but that is another story.

Anyway, all the military research scientists in the laser field except those at govt labs like Lincoln Laboratory got laid off. Some found jobs. But since I had helped kill the Golden Goose, I did not have a chance. I was now blackballed and so many good scientists were on the street they no longer needed me. I ended up in the computer industry from which I am now retired.

So that enough for now. Mike had many questions, but i do not have time to answer them all now. If he asks them again I will do so later on. I am willing to answer legitimate questions.

It is interesting (actually part of the same question) that Mike thinks I am victimizing him. I believe that is a symptom of his paranomia. Actually he has been victimizing the rest of us on this forum. But part of his sickness is that he cannot recognize who is being victimized.

Finally, I would like to remind the readers that he has never stated that he has not been in an asylum, as I suggested in a post to Lysithea. Of course it's pretty difficult to pin him down. I cannot even tell if he is married or not as his posts have claimed both to be and not to be.

So what is it Mike- are you a registered mental case?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins