Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Just Failed The English Class...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Leesa on June 29, 2003 23:07:37 UTC

For you did not convey YOUR opinion Glenn. Not that this is an English class. I'd just like to get your opinion and not a copy/paste of the 6th chapter of some book. I still don't know why you posted. But I'll take it that you believe this guy and revere him as an intelligent human being.

That being said, time to roll up my sleeves and honestly check out the situation. Blaylock's right on a couple things; people WILL have a different image in mind when they veiw the block (I personaly saw a cornerstone for some building like the Taj-Mahal) and they generally DO have preconcieved notions of what's going on in the bible.

But does that make them wrong? Someone once told me that if the whole world would obey ONLY the ten commandments (which in Christianity is the lesser law) it would turn in much greater harmony. That caused me to think about what they mean and why they were given. I came up (and found in research) that there is a reason for every one of them. Much of the sorrow and pain caused in the world today is self-inflicted by people who have not been living the commandments. Who is anyone to say that an accurate way of living, conducive to peace and harmony in a community, is wrong because it is only a "belief" that cannot be "proven" and therefore MUST be wrong?

I used to have a co-worker like that. He told me that I was not a free thinker because of my religion, that everything about religion was set up to keep the masses in ignorance, and that I (ironically) belonged to the devil church. (My thinking was, if you don't believe in a God and an organization devoted to worshiping Him, how could you believe in a Devil, and an organization ignorantly worshiping him?) I then told him that if [my other co-worker - his good friend], who was nineteen, had a two year old son, a crappy 6 dollars an hour job, no husband, no boyfriend, and was still trying to play the dating game had just adhered to the 7th commandment, her life would be a bejillion times easier. She was un-happy, life sucked a lot more than it had to, it wasn't getting better and it was her fault.

The mere fact that she had had a child at the worst time in her life caused a lot of problems for her. She couldn't support herself at 17 - much less a child. College wasn't even an option any more. In short, her mortal progression was to some degree (a very large one) stunted.

It's not like her (or a lot of girls I knew) life was over. It was just the wrong place. The wrong time. The 7th commandment warns against that and the others protect against other things.

There is a reason. It is not some menial preference. This is just an example but there are things contained in the scriptures that, if we adhere to them, will guide us through this turbulent life a lot better than we can do with our short sightedness.

In short, to end (really? The end? Took long enough;]), don't diss the bible nor the adherence to it.

That's my point. Hope it was an acceptable counter point to yours.

Lysithea

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins