Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here Is An Interesting Sidelight

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 28, 2003 02:46:56 UTC

Moses gave us both a written and an Oral tradition. It appears to me from my early experience as a Christian, that the church retained only the scripture and not the oral teachings of Moses.

The oral tradition was written and discussed at great length in the Talmud.

What is relevant to this discussion is that in the oral tradtion Moses told us how to change the laws he gave us. I remember something like 6 or 7 principles that had to be fullfilled for the law to be chaonged. Reform Judiasm has used these principles. Orthodox Judiasm has ignored them along with the church.

The problem of course is that the Talmud is too jewish for christians to even consider reading it. Yet they cling to the Old Testament along with the New. The result is dogma. Dogma that changes with Paul's letters and with each new Papal pronouncement. But no perscription for modifying the laws.

But the principles for changing laws are quite enlightened as I remember them- of course they came from god. Someday I have to find them on the web for all of you to enjoy. God is not an old fuddy duddy. God is the ultimate enlightened one and realizes that laws do not apply forever. And has provided us with a way to modify them as conditions merit their modification. It's just us humans that have lost the perscription.

Richard

PS: Not to worry. Jewish lawyers have injected these principles into secular law.

PSs: I am no longer jewish. got kicked out of the temple when I went bankrupt. nothing is perfect.

Now I am a little bit of everything and not much of anything.

PSss: I am really enjoying reading the posts even though I do not respond much. For one I see that Mike is still breaking the Golden Rule. But it was a fun trip to see the post where he talked so much about his wife, and he is not even married- at least not according to his other posts. Maybe he was just making a point. I even complained about his no longer criticizing me. But I liked his response to John Brooks, who by the way was the Dean of Applied Sciences at Harvard when I was there. Could be the same person???

There's so much more I would like to respond to. But I cannot remember it all. Bad memory you know.

Anyway the forum is fun again.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins