Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
This Might Be Dumb But...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on June 27, 2003 18:03:19 UTC

I've had this question for a while...

~~~you cannot stone people to death,~~~

The bible actualy tells us to kill somebody by stoning if they:

- Commit adultery (women only, I think)
- Violate the law of keeping the Sabbath holy
- Are found guilty of prostitution
- Are guilty of a few other offenses I can't recall but do remember reading (it's mainly found in the book of Exodus, where God gives the Ten Commandments and then explains to the Jews how the laws are to be upheld).

Now stoning somebody is TOTALY innapropriate in todays justice system, which begs the question: Is the bible to be taken litteraly and strictly adhered to for one to be a 'pure Christian', or are we to take the bible in an appropriate interpretation within the context of our times?

Nowhere in the bible did I find a passage proclaiming that one is to tailor the Law appropriately to his own times.

In the book of Proverbs, it is implied that the injustice of letting the wicked go unpunished is as detestable as the sin that was committed. Then, back in Exodus, it tells us how we are to punish them (and this is not implied, it is straight forward and from the thunderring voice of the Lord himself).

So apparently, it is OK for a Christian to stone someone guilty of certain crimes. Or, one could argue that it's not OK (against the decree of the Bible)...

...but that wouldn't be very Christian

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins