Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Please Harv, Not In Front Of The Guests

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by A. Souza on June 23, 2003 13:47:45 UTC

" it doesn't make for a straightforward read and if it's not a straightforward read, then I have no interest in it "

Harv,

A person should never be proud of their cultural shortcomings. "Straight to the point" literature is irrelevant. I spent six years in a university and, if I had to, I could write down my whole post-secondary education in less than a hundred pages.

To take a familiar example, Dick's paper "explains" the whole universe in less than five chapters. He probably didn't do it right, but the idea that the whole universe can be explained in five chapters remains the sacred cow of the geeks who rule modern culture. But the people of the past knew better. They knew that it takes an entire library to explain even a single soul, and that the really important truths of this life are anything but straightforward.

So keep on reading easy, "to the point" books. Sometimes it takes quite a few of them for a person to realize that, rather than going straight to the point, they actually miss it completely.

Have fun,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins