Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Have No Reason To Even Think Of Hiding You

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 21, 2003 17:19:16 UTC

Mike,

You are a very intelligent and provide meaningful content to your posts. You challenge the reader, albeit in unconventional mannerisms, but I consider reading you to be quite worth my time (unless you are jibber jabbering with someone, in that case I might lack the time to follow along). I certainly wouldn't hide you or even think about it. In the beginning I felt entirely different about you, but I came to 'know' you better, and those original concerns went away.

***1) why should anyone care what they think without their justifying how their idea (dark matter, tautological physics, or "Oscar the grouch" physics) IMPACTS the layer of universe in which exist all our fossil ancestors, ourselves, our atmosphere, our speculations about meaning of life, and all our previous illusions?***

You have a major point, although I suppose that we all get off the point of this particular forum once and a while, and perhaps it is good to be reminded. This particular sub-forum is a God and Science forum and all the participants should try to relate their content to this subject matter. I fully agree to that, even though I too violate this sometimes without thinking. Perhaps a little deviation once in a while is a good thing, I don't know.

***2) Why be impressed with the "news judgment" of any of the folks here who parade their physics as if others are stupid if they don't follow the exact thread which those persons
are preoccupied?***

I don't sense that I am being made to be stupid because I don't know physics. The only one who does that is Dick, but he does it to everyone including other physicists, so I don't think his comments have anything to do with physics, but faulty reasoning attempting to explain why he knows something legit and others don't. Physics is interesting, and so is biology, and other scientists. If the tie-in can be made to religion or spirituality, then I see no reason why that case cannot be made even if it is above my head. I think people should feel free to post content as long as they are meeting a criteria of rationality and obeying forum rules.

***There are important physics discoveries that do not involve much higher mathematics. There are also mathematical physicists who are not incapable of rigor in wider topical conversations. Please don't let your temperament be fogged by the rude and pretentious denunciations of a few (non-Nobel Prize winners, by the way).***

True, but I don't see this happening with Alan. He is - in my opinion - talking out of his Language Removed and I get annoyed by it. Why do I get annoyed? Perhaps because I see potential in Alan to move to sound thinking and he refuses to do it. Alan is a smart guy, maybe a very smart guy, but it irks me that he concentrates on knowing physics without first knowing physics. My desire to hide him is more a result of not wanting to be rude to him anymore. I think Alan is a wonderful person, and don't want to be rude to him. But, when he says things that I think are stupid, I want to be rude to him. So, the easiest approach is to use the hide function. He hasn't said anything of any merit (from my perspective) since Counterbalance (when he used to be a little more rational). Since those days I think he has gradually become more and more irrational to the point today where he cites silly nursery rhymes and tries to explain physics in a simple and clear way (even though he has never specialized in physics). I'm done with it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins