Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Siamese Triplets???

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on June 21, 2003 03:11:01 UTC

I was a bit shocked today by an article that I read in CNN's science section (space chronicles).

It discussed the discovery of "The Flattest" star ever seen - Achernar (Alpha Eridani). One of the many articles I read described the star to be the exact shape of an M & M.

The fact that a star of this particular magnitude is not what surprised me so much, but the fact that scientists were taken by surprise is what really got me.

Why? Well, I would think that a scientist would remain open to even the oddest discoveries (or expect to some degree that almost anything can happen - breaking the bounds of any paradigm).

Please don't get me wrong here, I am not coming to the conclusion or suggesting that scientists are close minded at all. I am saying that maybe it should have not come to much of a surprise with respect to this particular discovery. Yes, (Alpha Eridani) is quite a bit odder than odd stars of it's type. Hey, I got it, instead of calling this a class M star, we can call it a class M & M star.

Anyway, my point being that one (scientist or not) should expect that almost any type of phenomena can and will happen.

I guess "the element of surprise" is equally proportional to the difference one might find with repect to "the norm".

But this is what makes discovery so much fun.

And so it goes...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins