Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thou Art Criticizing Thy Own Misconception Of Evolution Friend

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on April 14, 2000 23:53:45 UTC

Well hello,

you`re absolutely right, i can`t explain the mechanism through which things become increasingly complex by chance. But that`s not a problem, because like i said, evolution does not occur by chance... it`s not random. Hence natural SELECTION involves nature`s selection of particular traits depending on the environment.

I can however explain how a non-random process like evolution occurs. Mutations (which are random), originating from various factors. So while variation is created through mutation (can be considered as added input into an "information system"), nature SELECTS the most favorable of these traits. Over time, complexity increases after particular traits are selected in succession. Gradually, after significant amount of time, speciation (creation of a new species) may occur.

Somehow i don`t think this explanation will prove satisfactory even though it`s supported by years of research. What`s the support that every single event indicated in the bible actually occured in succession? I think you`ll have a harder time defending your own theory than attacking a well established one. Of course to support creationism, you`ll have to reject most of science to do so. Like isotopic dating methods, fossils, physical laws to explain all of the events that happen in the bible (or resort to faith), etc etc... none of which is very compelling from an objective point of view.

P.S. You misinterpret the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It does not say that everything tends towards disorder all the time... otherwise, the whole world would be a violation of the law. When a forest burns down, it regenerates after time when minerals like nitrogen and phosophorus are returned to the soil... does God restore it? Maybe, but it`s far more parsimonious to postulate that it occurs without God`s help.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins