Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Elementary, My Dear Watson

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 16, 2003 22:22:40 UTC

I don't like talking about just grotesque scenarios since they aren't very uplifting situations that benefit the human spirit (probably why ethics has never been high on my list of studies). But, since you asked Mark, I'll give you my 2-cent opinion...

Since the gunmen is asking you to do this immoral act, nothing that person says is likely to be of any value since they are obviously intent on someone losing their life, therefore they could be lying and you would end up either killing some human being only to hear the demand that you do it again just one more time; or, they say afterward "ha ha, now I'm taking everyone else down".

To avoid that situation, you only have two choices (presuming that escaping or talking them out of the crime is out of the question). You must either turn the knife on yourself (suicide) or thrust yourself at the assailant in one wistful move. Since if you turn it on yourself you are going to die anyway, the last option is the only real choice. You must elect heroism. You throw the knife at the assailant and you run after the assailant as he must dodge the knife. Your odds may be as high as 50/50 that you take down your assailant and survive. Maybe you get real lucky and the knife does the trick?

Like I said, not the situation I would ever face, but that's the solution that I would elect in the confines of my peaceful setting right now.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins