Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 13, 2003 17:56:58 UTC

Richard,

I agree. It is an appeal to reach an unbelieving audience by offering them meaning to their life without sacrificing their atheism. In other words, they want to give them cake and let them eat it too. Of course, the problem is that anyone who wants to side with the atheists get treated as atheists, which means they lose all the benefits of religion when faced down with the contradictions in their statements.

I see in Glenn someone trying very hard to show an atheist front, but also trying to be loyal to the Buddhist view as well. You can see the struggle in his text where he waivers between consciousness at a 9th level (Buddhism) and life merging into the universe and consciousness permanently ceasing for that individual (atheism).

The key question as I mentioned to Aurino, is how will Glenn side. Will he side with his atheist tenedencies (hoping to win a few converts maybe?), or will he side with Buddhism (and saying goodbye to all those who want to remain atheists). It will be interesting if he answers these questions in a straightforward manner, or doublespeak as how I think most would try to answer it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins