Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Sounds Like This Guy Has An Ego Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 13, 2003 12:35:49 UTC

"“I, Nichiren Daishonin, am sovereign, teacher, and father and mother to all the people of Japan”. He made this statement to convey his state of life as the orginal Buddha "

The author of the Lotus Sutra did not even claim to be the original Buddha.

I would be suspicious of anybody claiming to be the original Buddha. My first experience in Buddhism was in Zen Macrobiotics. There the claim was that if you ate properly, you would attain Buddhahood. Here it seems to be that you must say some Japanese words often enough:

"When we believe in and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon, which embodies the compassionate state of life of the original Buddha or enlightenement, we stimulate and bring forth a source of boundless compassion latent within us."

Why Japanese. Sanskrit would seem more appropriate. That is the language of the Lotus Sutra. Right? Certainly not Japanese.

I am afraid that like the last time, the more that is said about your version of Buddhism, the more contrived it seems to be. I like the statements about compassion. But the claims of Nichiren Daishonin turn me off.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins