Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Mean, We Don't Have To Use That Name, Considering Its History!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Not On Your Life on June 8, 2003 22:05:54 UTC

Naming planets may seem a frivolous topic; yet when measured against the immensity of space, time and what happens there, what topic does not seem small by comparison?
Naming planets should not be the privilege only of the ancients, but of moderns too! Surely, we
should name at least one planet after each conservative radio talk show host, so great are their contributions to science and civilization
(just ask them!)
Or on a lighter side (my head is ever so full of helium today), we could name them based upon our possible aspirations there. Mars might be named Modernia since only modern technologies will allow us to live there.
Venus might be called Hot!Hot!Hot! after Carl Sagan's prediction about its surface conditions was proven correct and because it's a jazzy romantic topic area.
Jupiter could be "Little Starling" because it has its own orbiting "planets" and its hugeness and inhospitableness is so annoying, but we still love it anyway.
Pluto is surely "Little Lonelyville"; Mercury is "Roasted Rock"; Saturn is "Land of the Granular Bands" and well, I should let someone else name a few.
Do you happen to know who named the Pleiades'
mythological Seven Sisters back in Greek times?
What human being actually made these names and who made them stick?
Do I know any Martians, you ask. Well, this web site is not really the place to make wild claims. I can only say that Earth is deep in outer space and we are fortunate to live here!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins