Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Anti-government?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 5, 2003 14:26:49 UTC

Richard,

I scratched my head after I read your post. If we were in China, I could see your concern, but even the most rightwing or leftwing government employee believes strongly in free speech and the right for citizens to speak their opinions. In fact, this is one vehicle how politicians can get re-elected or get elected by tapping into those concerns. For example, it is quite clear that both European leaders and our American President staged a public relations effort at the Economic conference recently. Bush has to impress voters at home that America is mending fences so that we don't appear to be outcast, and certain European leaders must appear to be in alignment with America so that they are not perceived as out of alignment with the world's only remaining superpower.

Anyway, I guess your experience with government has not been a positive one. My experience has always been positive and always appreciate the services provided by our government. In fact, as one who occasionally works with government offices, it amazes me how much more efficient at servicing our citizens the U.S. government has become over the past 15 years. I'd say they've made remarkable progress at providing information and satisfying the needs of the populace with less personnel (in terms of % of population).

Well, that's how I see it. Any criticisms on my part is based on the hope that the populace will demand more international support for our policies, and thereby maintain our country strong into the future. I think everyone here is close to the same opinion.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins